Thursday 14 April 2011

Animating my models - Martini Glass

The next model which I decided to animate was my martini glass:


Using Set Key, I created an animation which moved all of the components in the right place. I wanted to create an animation of the martini being poured into the glass. Because it is impossible to make liquid substances using 3D Studio Max, it meant that I had to improvise by adjusting a cylinder using Edit Poly. With soft selection on, it allowed me to make an object which looks similar to a liquid being poured:


With the pouring part sorted, I needed a method of making it look as if the martini glass was filling up so, using a technique similar to in my other models, i placed an upside down cone into the martini glass which is the same colour and material was the liquid being poured. Then, as the timeline progresses, the cylinder will get bigger until the glass is full and the liquid will move back upwards, creating the illusion that the martini has stopped being poured.


As a finishing touch to the liquid effect, I animated the olive so that it appeared to "plop" into the glass and float up and down inside the glass, as if it was floating in liquid: 



As the tutorials were progressing in class, we learnt how to use the Reactor modifier in order to animate objects falling in a scene by giving it mass, friction and elasticity. I felt it would be a good idea to use that knowledge in this model by creating ice cubes from a box, adding the appropriate material and then cloning them so that they're all the same. The Melt modifier was then used to give them a slightly different shape from each other which would have a slight effect on the Reactor modifier and how the cubes will bounce into the glass. I had to make sure when I was using the modifier that the glass was a concave mesh, otherwise the cubes will treat the glass as convex and will not go into the glass: 


 This is the finished image of the glass:


I have decided to use this as an element in the final trailer and I will try and utilise other skills I have learnt and investigate new techniques to improve my final grade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment